Tracking Plans let you proactively monitor and act on non-compliant event data coming into your RudderStack sources based on predefined plans. This can help you prevent or de-risk situations where missing or improperly configured event data can break your downstream destinations.
With the help of a Tracking Plan, you can:
- Define specific event names and properties for your
- Specify whether a property/attribute is required and assign a particular data type.
- Have better control of your data streaming by supporting a versioning system.
- Use the Data Governance API to evaluate your inbound events and metadata, and compare them with your plans.
To start using the Tracking Plans, follow these steps:
- Generate a Personal Access Token in the RudderStack dashboard.
- Make a copy of the RudderStack Tracking Plan Spreadsheet to create or update your tracking plans.
- Connect your Tracking Plan to a source. For more information, refer to the Tracking Plan Spreadsheet documentation.
- (Optional) Use RudderTyper for autocomplete and linting.
The Tracking Plans feature currently supports only
RudderStack propagates any context related to the tracking plan violations to your destinations. You can use this context in your Transformations for filtering or modifying the events before they reach the destination.
If you have defined the tracking plan global settings such that Allow unplanned events is set to
FALSE, the events that are explicitly dropped via the tracking plan will not reach any destination.